Looking for the emails you archived? Find out here how to view archived Gmail emails—in a browser, in the Gmail apps, or in an email program.
First, He Read, He Inquired, and He Believed
I should not complain of the labor of this work, if my materials were always […] books as the chronicles of honest Froissard, who read little, inquired much, and believed all.
Now, want to inquire not only into email currently in your inbox but archived Gmail as well? Read just a little more on this page; believe me!
How to View Archived Gmail Emails
View All Archived Emails
- Open Gmail in a browser or the Gmail apps for Android and iOS.
- Click Search mail.
- Gmail keyboard shortcut: You can also press / to focus the Gmail search field.
- Tip: As a shortcut, open https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#search/-label%3Ainbox in your browser.
- Press Enter.
See All (Including Archived) Emails
To quickly view archived Gmail emails together with those still your inbox:
- Open Gmail.
- Go to the All Mail label.
- Gmail keyboard shortcut: Press g a to open the All Mail folder quickly.
- Tip: If you do not see the All Mail label or folder in Gmail’s left navigation panel, click More in that panel. You can drag and drop the All Mail label to the top of the labels list to permanently unhide it.
Search for Archived Gmail
You can also access archived Gmail messages by searching for them, of course:
- Click Search mail or press /.
- Type an email address or terms for which you want to view archived emails.
- Note: Gmail will automatically include all archived emails in search results.
- Tip: To limit results to only archived emails, add
-label:inboxto the search terms.
- Example: Type “older_than:3y -label:inbox” to view all archived Gmail emails older than three years, for instance.Type any email address or message content to find the corresponding emails in the Gmail archive.
- Press Enter.
How to View All (Including Archived) Gmail Emails using an Email Program
To access, view and find archived Gmail emails if you connect to your account via IMAP using an email program:
- Make sure the All Mail label is set to be visible in IMAP.
- Open the [Gmail]/All Mail folder in your email program.
- Note: Some email programs list this folder under a different name, typically “Archive” or “All Mail”.
- Find in this folder all received emails including those archived in Gmail.
How to View Archived Gmail Emails: FAQ
Can I restore emails to the inbox after I have found them in the Gmail archive?
Yes, you can unarchive Gmail emails in a few simple steps, no matter how you access your account.
(How to view archived Gmail emails tested with a desktop browser, the Gmail app for iOS and an IMAP email program; updated January 2019)