Want to keep an email for reference—and keep it out of sight? Find out here how to archive emails in Gmail, whether you use it in a browser, app or email program using IMAP or POP.
First, Joseph Fortunin François
is born still early into October 1813 near Busseto in—France, with a French name and a French citizen; as Giuseppe Verdi, he is to become an Italian composer with an Italian name instrumental to Italian unity, of course.
So, there you have it: for history’s odd turns, Verdi was by birth French—another fact to archive away like an email in Gmail. Like an email in Gmail? Speaking of which, how to archive emails in Gmail?
How to Archive Emails in Gmail
To move a message to the archive in Gmail:
- Click the Archive toolbar button () while reading a message or conversation.
- Gmail keyboard shortcut: For speedy archiving, press e.
To archive multiple emails in one go:
- Make sure all emails you want to archive are checked.
- Tip: You can use Gmail search, of course, to focus and mass-select certain emails for archiving, or visit a specific folder.
- Click the Archive button or press e.
Alternative: Use Labels
You need not use the Archive button or archiving keyboard shortcut to archive in Gmail. As alternative, you can use labels; to archive an email using Gmail labels:
How to Archive using the Gmail Apps for Android and iOS
To move an email to the archive using the Gmail apps for Android and iOS:
- Open the message you want to archive.
- Tip: You can also tap the circles bearing initials or sender photos to select multiple emails for archiving in any message list.
- Tap the archiving button () in the toolbar.
Swipe to Archive in the Gmail App
To archive an email in the Gmail apps by swiping:
- Make sure swiping to archive is enabled for the account in the Gmail app. (See below.)
- Swipe over the message from either left or right until the green archiving bar appears.
How to Enable Swiping to Archive
To set up archiving as the action that takes place for swiping over a message in the Gmail apps:
- Tap the hamburger menu button.
- Select Settings from the menu that has appeared.
- Now choose the desired Gmail account.
- Tap When removing messages, I prefer to… under General.
- Make sure Archive is selected.
How to Archive Emails via IMAP in an Email Program
To move an email to the archive if you have set up Gmail as an IMAP account in an email program:
- Move the message to the [Gmail]/All Mail folder.
- Note: Your email program may have renamed the folder as Archive or offer an Archive button that moves messages in the background.
If the “All Mail” folder is not visible in the email program:
- Make sure When a message is marked as deleted and expunged from the last visible IMAP folder is set to Archive the message in your Gmail settings.
- Delete the message from the inbox and, optionally, other folders.
- Note: Without the [Gmail]/All Mail folder, you cannot access the Gmail archive in the email program; do open Gmail in a web browser to access and search archived emails.
How to Archive Emails via POP in an Email Program
To have Gmail automatically archive messages downloaded to an email program using POP:
- Make sure archive Gmail’s copy is selected for When messages are accessed with POP in your Gmail account’s settings.
Note: This is the only way to archive messages in Gmail through POP. Having the email program delete messages while downloading or at another occasion has no effect.
How to Archive Emails in Gmail: FAQ
What does “archive” mean in Gmail What happens when I archive an email?
Archiving removes the Inbox label from messages.
This prevents them from showing up in your Gmail inbox but still lets you access them in other labels as well as discover them using search.
Where can I find archived Gmail emails?
You can typically find archived emails in the All mail label that collects all your Gmail emails, but you can also view archived Gmail emails exclusively.
Can I un-archive emails in Gmail?
Yes, you can restore messages you have archived to the inbox and effectively unarchive Gmail emails in a few simple steps.
(How to archive emails in Gmail tested in a desktop browser, the Gmail app for iOS and email programs; updated January 2019)