Wish selecting and deleting a bunch of messages was easier and faster in iOS Mail? Find out here how to delete multiple emails on iPhone (and iPad) with previously unknown swiftness.
First, the Persons to Appear in a Photograph Sooner
For while the boy’s hands (like all the traffic and other people in the streets) moved too rapidly for the long-time exposure, their figures stood still enough. It takes several minutes to take a daguerreotype (the very first practical form of photography) after all.
Now, deleting emails on an iPhone feels like taking a daguerreotype? Turn minutes into seconds and trash any selection of messages super fast:
How to Delete Multiple Emails on an iPhone (Almost) in One Go
Time needed: 1 minute.
- Go to the folder in Mail.
Search: Deleting multiple emails also works with search results and smart folders, of course.
Example: See below for deleting multiple emails from the same sender, for instance.
- Tap with two fingers on the first message in the list you want to delete.
- Swipe over the empty circles to add multiple emails to the selection.
More selections: You can select multiple emails on iPhone for deleting quite flexibly.
- Tap Trash.
Note: The messages will go to the Trash folder immediately.
Delete All Emails at Once in iPhone Mail
To delete all messages in a folder in one go:
- Tap Edit.
- Now tap Select All in the top left corner.
- Tap Trash.
Deleting Multiple Emails on iOS: FAQ
How can I delete multiple emails from the same sender on iPhone?
To quickly delete multiple or all emails from a sender in iOS Mail:
- Swipe down in an iPhone Mail folder to reveal the Search field.
- Tap in the Search field.
- Type the sender’s email address over Search.
- Now pick Sender contains <email address>: (or the desired sender’s name or email address) under People in search suggestions.
- Make sure From is selected on top.
- Two-finger tap and select multiple emails as above.
- Tap Trash.
How can I delete multiple emails in the Gmail app on an iPhone?
Selecting and deleting multiple emails in the Gmail app is, alas, a tad more tedious than in the native Mail application.
To delete multiple emails in the Gmail app:
- Tap the avatar or circle in front of the first message you want to delete.
- Now tap all additional emails you want to delete as well.
Tip: You need not tap the avatar now but can use the message’s subject or preview.
- Happy with your selection, tap the Trash icon in the toolbar on top.
Note: All selected emails will be moved to the Trash folder without further confirmation.
(How to delete multiple emails on an iPhone tested with iOS 13–15; updated January 2022)