End your emails like you begin them: your way. Find out here how to change the signature in Yahoo Mail for custom text (with, say, your contact details and a quote) automatically added to the bottom of every message you send.
First, Do Not Look at the Bouncing Ball
Look at the words instead and sing along; or, as Bimbo says in My Old Kentucky Home, “Follow the ball and join in everybody!“
As the ball bounces from word to word in tune with the rhythm, singing along is easy in Max Fleischer‘s famous cartoons from the 1920s. The bouncing ball quickly became a signature of his—and of sing-along movies in general.
Speaking of signatures… follow the steps and join in everybody! Look:
How to Change the Signature in Yahoo Mail
Yahoo Mail on the Desktop
Time needed: 7 minutes.
To add or edit the email signature used for messages you send from Yahoo Mail using a desktop browser:
- Click the Settings Menu gear icon (⚙️) in Yahoo Mail.
Tip: You can find it near the top right corner of Yahoo Mail.
- Select More Settings from the menu that has appeared.
- Open the Writing email category.
- Under Signature, enable the email address for which you want to change the Yahoo Mail signature.
Tip: Click the button next to the address to toggle.
- Type or edit the signature for the address in the text field beneath it.
Tip: Typically, include at least your name and crucial contact information.
Productivity Hint: You can also mention how you handle email—when senders can expect a reply, for example.
Note: Yahoo Mail will not insert the standard signature separator automatically; if you want to include it, insert
--(two dashes followed by a whitespace character) on a line of their own right at the top of your signature.
Signature size: Keep the signature to 4–5 lines of text, if possible.
Formatting: Add formatting to your Yahoo email signature if you like.
- Follow the ← Back to Inbox link.
Note: Yahoo Mail will save the changes to your signature automatically.
Basic HTML Yahoo Mail
To edit the email signature in basic HTML Yahoo Mail:
- Click the Account Info drop-down menu in the top basic Yahoo mail navigation bar.
- Select Settings from the menu.
- Click Go.
- Select the email address under Mailbox list.
- Now edit the signature under Signature.
Note: Basic HTML Yahoo Mail uses a plain-text version of the full Yahoo Mail by default.
Important: If you update the signature in basic Yahoo Mail, it will also change in full Yahoo Mail (including the conversion to plain text only).
- Click Save.
Yahoo Mail App for iOS and Android
To change the signature used in the Yahoo Mail app for Android and iOS:
- Swipe in from the right edge in the Yahoo Mail app.
- Select Settings.
- Now select Signature under GENERAL.
- Type or edit the signature for each email account.
- Tap <.
- Now tap X to close Settings.
Note: The Yahoo Mail apps use a special signature different from the one used in web-based Yahoo Mail.
How to Change the Signature in Yahoo Mail: FAQ
Where will my Yahoo Mail email signature appear?
By default, Yahoo Mail will insert the signature text in every email you write—new message, reply or forward.
The signature will appear
- after the email’s text and
- before any quoted text (for replies and forwards).
Is it possible to edit or move the Yahoo Mail signature when writing an email?
Yes, you can edit the signature’s text, delete parts of it or move the whole signature just like other text in the email.
Tip: To move the signature to the very bottom when replying or forwarding, click › Show Original Message, cut the signature and paste it at the very bottom.
Can I use the same signature for multiple accounts in Yahoo Mail?
Yahoo Mail keeps different signature files for different accounts (Mailboxes). To use the same email signature with more than one account:
- Make sure each account’s main email address is enabled under Signature on the Writing email settings page.
- Compose the signature for one account.
- Copy and paste the email signature to other accounts.
C(Windows and Linux) or
C(Mac) to copy and
V(Windows and Linux) or
V(Mac) to paste.
Hint: You can, of course, change the individual accounts’ signatures—to include different email address, for example.
All email address set up for sending with an account in Yahoo Mail will share the same email signature.
Will my Yahoo Mail signature be inserted when I use an email program to send email through my Yahoo Mail account?
The Yahoo Mail signature you create for Yahoo Mail in a browser will only be used for emails you send through a browser accessing Yahoo Mail at https://mail.yahoo.com/. The browser can be on a desktop computer or a mobile device.
Note that the mobile web interface to Yahoo Mail in a browser will remove any formatting from the signature.
Your standard web-based Yahoo Mail signature will not be used if you send email through your Yahoo Mail account from email programs and services including
- the Yahoo Mail app for iOS and the Yahoo Mail app for Android,
- desktop email programs such as Outlook,
- mobile email programs such as iOS Mail or
- email services set up to send email using your Yahoo Mail address (such as Gmail, for example).
You can always copy and paste your signature into these programs’ signature settings, of course. (Tip: You will find the signature at the bottom of recently sent mail in the Yahoo Mail Sent folder.)
(How to change the signature in Yahoo Mail tested with Yahoo! Mail and basic Yahoo! Mail in a desktop browser as well as the Yahoo Mail app for iOS; updated December 2019; title image: StockUnlimited)