Sick of seeing a certain person’s emails (and having to delete them)? Find out here how to block senders in Gmail by email address or name and have it make sure you do not get to see these emails again.
First, Block-Headed Ants
When you are an ant of the right kind, you need no doors to your premises. They’re all in your head.
Before we talk about the ants’ curious name, do you have in mind and head to block a sender from your inbox? Put Gmail’s industrious ants to work; it’s easy:
Gmail: Block Sender by Email Address
To block an email address in Gmail so messages from that address go to to Spam automatically using Gmail on the web:
- Open a message from the sender you want to block in Gmail using a desktop browser.
- Click the More menu button (︙) next to the sender’s name.
- Tips: Make sure you do not accidentally click the same-shaped More menu button in the conversation’s toolbar (appearing together with buttons such as Delete and Label).
- If you do not see the More button next to the sender’s name in a conversation, click the name to expand the message.
- Select Block “Name” from the menu that has appeared.
- Click Block under Block this email address.
To block somebody’s email address using the Gmail app for Android:
- Open the Gmail app.
- Now open a message from the sender you want to block.
- Tap More ⠸.
- Now tap Block “Name”.
Gmail: Block Sender by Name
You can also block a sender’s name in Gmail; to have all emails that come from a sender with a particular name sent to the Gmail Trash automatically:
- Open Gmail in a desktop browser.
- Click the Show search options downward-headed triangle (▼) in the Gmail search field.
- Enter the sender’s name under From surrounded by quotation marks (“).
- Tip: Make sure you do not allow Gmail to auto-complete the name, for this will enter the email address instead of the name.
- Example: To filter messages from Heinz Tschabitscher, type
- Click Create filter.
- Make sure Delete it is checked under When a message arrives that matches this search:.
- Click Create filter again.
Gmail: Block Sender by Email Address or Name — FAQ
Can I unblock someone on Gmail?
Yes. Removing someone from your list of blocked senders is just as easy in Gmail as was blocking them.
Can I block someone on Gmail using the Gmail app for iOS?
No. The Gmail app for iOS does not currently support blocking senders. You can open Gmail’s desktop version in a mobile browser, though, and use it to block senders.
Can I block someone on Gmail using Simple HTML Gmail?
Simple HTML Gmail does not offer access to the blocked senders list. You can, however, set up and edit filters.
To block somebody by name or email address using Simple HTML Gmail and have their emails sent to the Trash automatically:
- Open Simple HTML Gmail.
- Click Create a filter next to the Gmail search field.
- Type the sender’s name or email address under From:.
- Click Next Step.
- Make sure Delete it is checked under Choose action.
- Click Create Filter.
(Gmail: block sender tested with Gmail in a desktop browser; updated June 2018; title image: StockUnlimited)