Blocked somebody by mistake in Gmail? Missing a sender’s messages? Find out here how to unblock emails on Gmail.
First, How Many Hands Does It Take to Open
the vault that holds the most precious books in the world’s oldest university? One, of course.
If this was the 16th century, however, we would need to summon four—ahem—key people at Fez’s already ancient and labyrinthinely spectacular medina to open all the locks and gain access to information in priceless form.
Now, how many clicks or taps will it take to open your precious Gmail inbox again for an address you blocked, perhaps accidentally? Let us find out!
How to Unblock Emails on Gmail
The Sender’s Email Address Is on the Gmail Blocked Senders List
Time needed: 3 minutes.
To remove a sender from your list of blocked addresses in Gmail:
- Click the Settings gear icon (⚙) in Gmail.
- Select Settings from the menu that has appeared.
- Go to the Filters and Blocked Addresses tab.
- Click unblock for the email address whose messages you want to allow back into your inbox under The following email addresses are blocked. Messages from these addresses will appear in Spam:.
Tip: To unblock more or all addresses, you can also make sure all addresses to be allowed are checked and click Unblock selected addresses.
- Click Unblock.
Note: Messages move to the Spam label while the sender was blocked (or manually by you) and not yet deleted automatically will not be recovered automatically; see below for rescuing them.
If you come across a message from a blocked sender, you can also unblock right from there:
- Open a message from the blocked sender in Gmail.
- Click Unblock sender in the gray information bar that appears below the message’s header.
- Now click Unblock.
The Sender Sender’s Name or Address Is in a Blocking Gmail Filter
To unblock a sender blocked in Gmail by name or email address using a filter:
- Click on the Settings gear icon (⚙) in Gmail.
- Select Settings from the menu.
- Make sure the Filters and Blocked Addresses tab is active.
- Find the filter that has the sender’s name ore email address as its condition and Do this: Delete it for the action.
- Click delete next to that filter to remove it and unblock the sender in Gmail.
Note: If you have used a single filter to block more than one address or sender (using
|to separate the alternate choices), do click edit instead and adapt the filter’s criteria by removing the address or sender you want to unblock.
How to Unblock Emails on Gmail: FAQ
Will Gmail automatically recover any messages filtered to Spam?
No. Gmail will not restore filtered messages automatically.
You can recover them, though:
- Click Search mail in Gmail.
Keyboard shortcut: You can also press
/to focus the search field.
from:followed by the sender’s email address or name.
Example: To search for emails from [email protected], for instance, type
- If you see Some messages in Trash or Spam match your search. at the bottom of search results, click View messages..
Tip: You can use
in:spam from:as the search operators to directly find all messages from the sender in Spam and
in:trash from:to search only the Trash.
- Click the Select checkbox to select all messages.
Keyboard shortcut: With Gmail keyboard shortcuts enabled, you can also press
- Now click Move to Inbox ().
(How to unblock emails on Gmail tested in a desktop browser; updated March 2020; title image: StockUnlimited)