Need to get images out of Paint 3D or save your work for later? Find out here how to export and save images in Paint 3D to JPEG, PNG, GIF, PBX and more.
First, Exciting Water Molecules for Perfume
Heated water molecules move and jump and, once in a while, get so excited that they leave their colleagues’ liquid confinement, escaping to gaseous freedom.
Sometimes, the escape is not solitary, though: the water vapor takes some molecules of fragrant, volatile oil with it—only to be separated from them in the next step of steam distillation.
This is how most pleasant scents are carefully extracted from plants for producing perfumes.
Want to extract pleasant images from Paint 3D? Here’s how to perform the distillation:
How to Save an Image in Paint 3D
Save an Image as JPEG
To export a creation as a JPEG file from Paint 3D:
- Click Menu () in the Paint 3D toolbar.
- Select Save as from the menu that has appeared.
- Now choose Image under Save as copy.
- Select 2D – JPEG under Save as type: in the file saving dialog.
- Note: Use the JPEG format for photos and graphics with complicated patters, textures or color gradients but without sharp edges.
- Type the name you want to use for the saved JPEG file under File name:.
- Tip: You need not use a file extension; Paint 3D will automatically append .jpeg to the file’s name.
- Click Save.
Save an Image as PNG or GIF
To save a graphic as a PNG or GIF file (including a transparent background) file from Paint 3D:
- Select Menu () in your Paint 3D’s toolbar.
- Choose Save as on the sheet that has come up.
- Under Save as copy, select Image.
- Choose 2D – PNG for PNG and 2D – GIF under Save as type:.
- Note: Use PNG and GIF formats for graphics that contain large areas filled with a uniform color, sharp edges (such as text) or transparency.
- Enter the name you want to use for the exported PNG or GIF file under File name:.
- Tip: Paint 3D will automatically append .png or .gif respectively, you do not have to type the file extension.
- Click Save.
Save a 3D Model in Paint 3D
To save your creation as a 3D asset you can easily import and use in 3D modeling applications or 3D words:
- Click the Menu icon () in Microsoft Paint 3D for Windows 10.
- Now select Save as.
- Note: If you are editing a 3D model file (GLB, FBX or 3MF) in Paint 3D, you can also choose Save to save the file at its current location.
- Choose 3D model under Save as copy.
- Navigate to the folder where you would like to save the 3D model in the Save As dialog.
- Make sure 3D – GLB (*.glb), 3D – FBX (*.fbx) or 3D – 3MF (*.3mf) is selected under Save as type.
- Type the name you want to use for the 3D asset file under File name:.
- Note: Paint 3D will append the file extension automatically.
- Click Save.
How to Save a Paint 3D File
To save the current state of your Paint 3D file as a project you can pick up for further editing later:
- Click the Menu icon () in Paint 3D.
- Choose Save as.
- Tip: To replace the saved version of a project you have opened in Paint 3D, click Save instead.
- Click Paint 3D project under Save as Paint 3D project on the sheet that has appeared.
- Type the name that will help you recognize the file later under Name your project.
- Note: If you use a name already used for another (or the same) project in Paint 3D, the program will not warn you and will not overwrite the existing project either; instead, Paint 3D will create a new project with the same name. You can always delete superfluous projects, of course.
- Click Save in Paint 3D.
How to Export and Save Images in Paint 3D: FAQ
Where are Paint 3D projects saved (if I do not choose a location using “Save as”)?
By default, Paint 3D stores projects in the following internal folder:
(How to Export and Save Images in Paint 3D tested with Paint 3D 5.1811; updated April 2019)