Wish Gmail would not throw together emails in threads that are unwieldy and difficult to handle? Find out here how to turn off conversation view in Gmail on the desktop and in the Gmail apps for Android and iOS.
First, Lemmings Jump
one into vast waters after the other to, of course, end their misery in crowded quarters with an escape to new shores. Lemmings, a bit to spite their reputation, can run pretty fast and swim comfortably well.
Now, do emails in your Gmail tend to come in groups, too, like the proverbial lemmings? Does that make you want to jump off a cliff like the proverbial lemming?
You can turn it off:
How to Turn Off Conversation View in Gmail
On the Desktop
To use Gmail without emails grouped in conversation view:
- Click the Settings gear icon in Gmail ().
- Select Settings from the menu that has appeared.
- Under Conversation View:, choose Conversation view off.
- Tip: Select Conversation view on to enable threading.
- Note: With conversation view disabled, you cannot easily print or forward entire email threads.
- Click Save Changes at the settings page’s bottom.
In the Gmail App for iOS or Android
To disable threading of messages in the Gmail app:
- Tap the hamburger menu icon () in the Gmail app.
- Select Settings from the menu that has shown.
- Now select the desired Gmail account.
- Turn off Conversation view (under General).
How to Turn Off Conversation View in Gmail: FAQ
Will disabling conversations in Gmail on the desktop also disable it for Gmail apps?
Gmail will synchronize the setting for each account.
With conversation view disabled, will anything change how emails are stored or served to email programs?
Neither choice will change how emails are saved in Gmail or how they appear in email programs connecting to Gmail via IMAP.
(How to turn off conversation view in Gmail tested with Gmail in a desktop browser and the Gmail app for iOS; updated March 2019)