Windows launches Mail instead of your favorite email program? Find out below how to set the default email program on Windows (for reading mail and when you click an email address for writing a message).
First, Before It Becomes a Butterfly, the Larva Spins a…
Cocoons are for moths. Who knew?
I learned something new just now… and, speaking of novelty and transformations, how about a new default email program for Windows? You can do it just now, and turn your Mail for Windows 10 larva, say, into an Outlook butterfly.
How to Set the Default Email Program on Windows
To change the default program used for sending and receiving emails on Windows 10:
- Open the Windows menu ().
- Select Settings ().
- Keyboard shortcut: You can press Windows I to open settings.
- Now choose Apps on the Windows Settings screen.
- Open the Default apps section under Apps.
- Click the currently selected application under Email.
- Now select the desired program from the list.
- Close the Settings window.
How to Set the Default Email Program on Windows: FAQ
Where is the default email program used in Windows?
The default Windows email program is used
- to display new and unread emails on the Windows lock screen and
- when you click an email address in a browser.
(How to Set the Default Email Program on Windows tested with Windows 10 Version 1803; updated October 2018)