Not interested in attracting mosquitoes? Keen to save battery and power? Find out below how to quickly turn off the screen on a Mac at any time using the mouse or the keyboard.
First, a Goddess Wrapped around the Dark Side
Now, how about having your Mac screen’s bright light swallowed at will and any time (without putting the whole computer to sleep)?
How to Turn off the Screen on a Mac
Using a Keyboard Shortcut
To quickly turn off your Mac’s screen at any time:
- Press Control Shift Eject.
- Tip: The Eject key is typically labeled ⏏.
- Note: If your Mac’s keyboard lacks an Eject key, you can use hot corners to turn off the display; see below.
Using a Hot Corner on the Screen
To set up a corner on the screen to turn off the display:
- Select System Preferences… from the Apple () menu.
- Open the Desktop & Screen Saver category.
- Make sure you are on the Screen Saver tab.
- Click Hot Corners….
- Now pick a corner to turn off the screen and make sure Put Display to Sleep is selected for it.
- Tip: You can require one or more keys to be pressed while the mouse cursor is in the corner for the display to be turned off; hold down the desired key or keys (Command, Control, Option, Shift and any combination) while selecting the Put Display to Sleep from the corner action’s menu.
- Hint: You can make more than one corner turn off the screen.
- Click OK.
Now, to turn off the screen with a flick of the mouse cursor:
- Move the mouse cursor to any corner configured to turn off your Mac’s screen.
- Hint: If your hot corner requires a key to be pressed, you can let go of the key before releasing the mouse.
(How to turn off the screen on a Mac tested with macOS High Sierra 10.13; updated August 2018)