Do iCloud calendars show up in Outlook, do you want to hand over an iPhone without its iCloud ties, or do you suspect a browser far away may be logged in to your account? Find out here how to sign out of iCloud (on a Windows PC, in a browser, on a Mac, and on iPhone or iPad).
First, Four Mac Pros on a Surfing Trip
If you own a website, you may have seen this automated visitor sign the virtual guestbook: “Applebot”.
For around a year starting in summer 2014, that Applebot seemingly collected information from around one billion sites per day not from server farms spread around the globe but—4 Mac Pro machines spread around an office at 1 Infinite Loop in Cupertino, CA.
Today, of course, it is safe to assume Applebot runs on more server-like hardware. Speaking of ordinary Macs, though, and signing (in or out):
How to Sign out of iCloud in a Browser
Time needed: 1 minute.
To log out of iCloud when you access your account at iCloud.com:
- Click your name or avatar in the top right corner of the iCloud service in your browser.
- Select Sign Out from the menu that has appeared.
- Choose Sign Out again.
Why Sign Out: This option logs you out of iCloud in the browser and makes sure you have to use 2-step verification the next time you sign in.
When to use Trust and Sign Out: You can use Trust and Sign Out on a computer only you can use; this makes logging in again easier.
How to Log Out of iCloud in All Browsers Remotely
To log out of all browsers—including all browsers that you cannot currently access but where you may still be logged in, say after checking iCloud Mail:
- Click your name or avatar in the top right corner of iCloud.com.
- Follow the iCloud Settings (or Account Settings) link.
- Now click Sign Out of All Browsers.
- Click Sign Out.
How to Sign Out of iCloud on a MacBook, iMac, and other Mac
To sign out of an iCloud account on a Mac using macOS Preferences:
- Click the Apple logo (
) in the menu bar.
- Select System Preferences… from the menu that has appeared.
- Open the Apple ID category (it usually also shows your name and avatar).
macOS up to 12 Monterey: Go to Overview after that.
- Click Sign Out….
- Choose whether you want to keep copies of data on the Mac (contacts, emails, calendar information, files, photos, etc.).
No syncing of copies: If you keep copies, any changes you make will not be synchronized with iCloud while you are logged out.
How to Log Out of iCloud on an iPhone or iPad
To sign out of your iCloud account entirely on an iPhone or iPad:
- Open the Settings app.
- Tap your name on the very top.
- Now tap Sign Out.
- If prompted, pick Sign Out of iCloud.
What about “Store”: If you use a different Apple ID for App Store, Music, and other media purchases, you can stay signed in—and continue using apps and media.
- Type your iCloud password.
- Tap Turn Off.
- Choose all data you want to keep locally on the device.
Syncing stops: Note that synchronization of iCloud Mail, your calendar, contacts, will end.
Backups end: Importantly, backups to iCloud will also stop; do back up to either a different iCloud account, to a Mac, or to a Windows PC instead.
- Tap Sign Out.
- Select Sign Out again to confirm.
How to Sign Out of iCloud on a Windows PC
To sign out of iCloud on a Windows PC:
- Open iCloud for Windows.
- Click Sign out.
- Choose Keep copy to sign out of iCloud but keep copies of synchronized data in Outlook.
No sync: The emails, calendar items, tasks and contacts will be in Outlook for use, but any changes you make will, of course, not synchronize with iCloud.
Delete data: You can also delete synchronized iCloud data from Outlook; choose Delete from computer. All items are still in iCloud (available at iCloud.com or other computers synchronizing with iCloud).
How to Sign Out of iCloud: FAQ
Can I sign out of iCloud without a password?
If you suspect your iCloud account has been accessed by someone else, you can do the following:
- Check all your devices for potential malware installed in the past and be vigilant about new phishing attempts.
- Restore access to your iCloud account and reset the password.
Highly recommended: Do enable 2-factor authentication for your iCloud account or Apple ID.
App passwords: Do examine all app passwords you have created for iCloud very critically; the safe option is to revoke all and selectively create new ones.
- Log out of all remote sessions remotely. See above.
What happens when I sign out of iCloud on a Mac, iPhone, or iPad?
When you sign out of your iCloud account on a device using macOS, iOS or iPadOS, important services on which you may rely stop working:
- Automatic backups to iCloud
- Synchronization of passwords using Keychain
- Contacts, calendar, reminders, etc. (You can still access these using a browser, though)
- Data synchronization in apps that use iCloud
- Locating devices using Find My
(How to sign out of iCloud tested with desktop browsers, macOS Ventura 13.1, Monterey 12.0, Big Sur 11.3 and iCloud for Windows 11.6; updated December 2022)