WhatsApp is taking up all the space on your iPhone? Find out below how to reduce its size effectively without losing any of your precious chats, images and videos.
First, Lightly Press Your Stomach
and see if you can do what St. Augustine described in the early 5th century:
[Some] bring up an incredible quantity and variety of things they have swallowed, and produce whatever they please, quite whole, as if out of a bag.
Now, if your WhatsApp and iPhone seem like they have swallowed quite too much and are bloated beyond their seams, you can bring some of that up, quite whole let us hope, and reclaim disk space:
How to Free Up Disk Space from WhatsApp on iPhone
To reduce the size WhatsApp uses on your iPhone or Android phone:
1. Find out whether saving space in WhatsApp is worth your while
- Open your iPhone’s iPhone Storage screen.
- See if WhatsApp consumes an amount of space worth saving.
2. Find the chats that waste the most space in WhatsApp
- Open WhatsApp on your iPhone.
- Select Settings at the bottom.
- Now open Data and Storage Usage.
- Go to Storage Usage.
3. Export WhatsApp conversations and media you want to keep
- Make sure you are on the Chats tab in WhatsApp.
- Export the data from any conversation you want to keep.
4. Delete WhatsApp data from the iPhone to recover space
- Open WhatsApp.
- Go to Settings.
- Tap Data and Storage Usage.
- Open Storage Usage.
- For each conversation you want to clean up to save disc space:
- Tap the conversation.
- Select Manage… at the bottom.
- Make sure all the items you want to delete are checked.
- Tip: It typically is most useful to delete Videos, GIFs and Voice Messages as well as Documents and Photos first. These are the biggest space hogs while Text, Contacts and Locations do not take up much space at all.
- Tap Clear at the bottom.
- Tap Clear again to confirm.
- Important: Do note that will delete the videos, photos, documents, text etc. from WhatsApp on your iPhone and WhatsApp on the web. While you may be able to recover data from a backup, do consider what you clear with this tap gone. See above for exporting and saving content before deletion.
- Now tap < Storage Usage at the top to return to the list of conversations.
How to Free Up Disk Space from WhatsApp on iPhone: FAQ
Is there a way to automate the process?
No. Unfortunately, there is currently no way to automate exporting and clearing chats in WhatsApp or having it delete old messages automatically.
(How to free up disk space from WhatsApp on iPhone tested with WhatsApp 2.18; updated May 2018; title image: StockUnlimited)