Trying to enter the degree symbol on an iPhone and cannot find it? Instead of tapping every single key, look below for the shortcut to ° on any iOS keyboard.
First, a German Decides to Measure Nothing below 0
When he concocted a scale of temperatures, he started with the boiling and freezing points of water, divided them into 180 degrees—and then nudged everything so he wouldn’t have to use negative numbers even for that icy salt water.
Now, negative numbers or not, wouldn’t it be positive to have a symbol for “degree” instead of typing the whole thing, even on an iPhone?
How to Enter the Degrees Symbol on iPhone Keyboard
To find and insert the degree symbol (°) on an iOS keyboard on iPhone and iPad:
- Tap the 123 button to switch to the keyboard’s number layout.
- Note: Make sure a language keyboard is active (not, say, the emoji keyboard).
- Now tap and hold the 0 key until it expands.
- Hint: The degree symbol hides behind the number 0 in all languages.
- Still keeping the finger on the keyboard, move it slightly to the left so the degree symbol (°) is highlighted.
- Release the finger to insert the degree symbol.
(How to enter the degrees symbol on iPhone keyboard tested with iOS 11; updated August 2018)