Looking for a fresh start with the web or to troubleshoot a site? Find out here how to clear cookies in Google Chrome—for specific sites or across the board.
First, Do Not Eat Caviar
—if eat it you must—with a silver spoon. That would be a mistake.
For the silver would react with the eggs and ruin their taste. So the story goes, and so the wooden spoons are brought out.
Now, cookies are usually best served fresh (or kept for weeks in metallic boxes, but that is another story). In Google Chrome, you can clear the plate and start your web experience untarnished by old cookies’ taste:
How to Clear Cookies in Google Chrome on a Desktop
Time needed: 2 minutes.
To delete all browser cookies in Google Chrome:
- Click the Google Chrome menu icon (⡆) a browser window’s toolbar.
- Select More Tools | Clear Browsing Data… from the menu that has appeared.
Chrome keyboard shortcut: To go directly to the Clear browsing data dialog, press Ctrl Shift Del (Windows, Linux) or Command Shift Backspace (Mac).
Tip: You can also open chrome://settings/clearBrowserData in Google Chrome to jump directly to the setting.
- Make sure All Time is selected under Time range.
Note: To clear only cookies, make sure you are on the Basic tab and Browsing history as well as Cached images and files are not checked.
- Click CLEAR DATA.
How to Clear Cookies Set by a Site
To clear cookies from a specific site in Google Chrome:
- Use the Google Chrome menu icon (⡆).
- Select Settings from the menu that has shown.
- Click Advanced.
- Now select Site settings (under Privacy and security).
- Click Cookies and site data.
- Now choose See all cookies and site data.
- Type the site whose cookies you want to clear over Search cookies.
- Click the trash icon (Remove <sitename>, 🗑) for the desired site.
To delete all cookies set by visiting a page in Google Chrome:
- Visit the site whose cookies you want to inspect and clear.
- Click the View site information icon in Google Chrome.
- Tip: The icon will always appear in front of the site’s address in the toolbar. It can sport the site’s name, Secure or i, for example, depending on the site’s security features.
- Click Cookies on the sheet that appears.
- On the Allowed tab, highlight all domains whose cookies (set by visiting the current site) you want to delete.
- Click Remove.
- Now click Done.
How to Clear Cookies in Chrome for Android and iOS
To clear cookies saved in Google Chrome for iOS and on Android devices:
- Tap the Chrome menu button (⡆).
- Select Settings from the menu that has appeared.
- Tap Privacy (under Advanced).
- Now tap Clear Browsing Data.
- Make sure Cookies, Site Data is checked under Clear Browsing Data.
- Note: To clear only cookies, make sure all other choices are not checked; in particular, you will usually want to keep Saved Passwords and your Browsing History.
- Tap Clear Browsing Data.
- Now select Clear Browsing Data again.
How to Clear Cookies in Google Chrome: FAQ
Is It Necessary to Clear Cookies Periodically in Google Chrome?
Clearing cookies is a swift troubleshooting step to try when a website does not want to work as expected (or has undergone an update). It is by no means necessary for the continued working or Google Chrome.
If you desire, you can have Google Chrome delete all cookies automatically every time you close it, however, and start fresh each time you launch Chrome:
- Open chrome://settings/content/cookies in Google Chrome.
- Make sure Keep local data only until you quit your browser is enabled.
- Note: You will have to log in to all sites you frequent anew every time you start Google Chrome.
Will I Lose Website Data by Clearing Cookies in Google Chrome?
For the most part, no.
You will have to log back in to most sites after clearing cookies, and some customizations may be lost.
(How to clear cookies in Google Chrome tested with Chroms 78; updated November 2019; title image: StockUnlimited)