Tired of typing on a phone? Find out below how to open and use WhatsApp on the desktop on any computer using a browser or even a WhatsApp desktop app.
First, Ice at the Bermudas
need not come by air or from the fridge; it can arrive by sea, fresh from the Arctic.
Want to carry messages from your phone’s ice shores to the comfy desk-top chair? It’s time to break out the parasol:
How to Use WhatsApp on the Desktop (in Any Browser)
To open WhatsApp on the desktop with just a browser:
- Make sure WhatsApp is installed on your phone, and that your phone number is registered with it.
- Visit WhatsApp Web in your favored web browser.
- Now open WhatsApp on the phone.
- Select the Settings gear (⚙️) or tap the menu button (⠸).
- Choose WhatsApp Web/Desktop from the menu or sheet that has appeared.
- Tap Scan QR Code if visible to add another session.
- Point your phone to the screen to scan the QR code on the WhatsApp Web page.
- Note: Click CLICK TO RELOAD QR CODE over the original QR code to generate a new one in place of the expired one.
- Tip: Make sure Keep me signed in is checked to save yourself the trouble of scanning the QR code next time.
- Use WhatsApp in the browser.
- Important: WhatsApp on the desktop uses your phone to send and receive messages. You cannot use WhatsApp on the desktop without having both your phone and the desktop computer connected to the internet.
How to Use WhatsApp on the Desktop: FAQ
Can I use WhatsApp in a dedicated desktop application as well?
You can put the WhatsApp web interface into its own application with
These applications offer native notifications on top of what you get from WhatsApp Web.
Can I use WhatsApp on the desktop without WhatsApp installed on a phone and connected to WhatsApp Web?
No, this is currently not possible. You need to be logged in to your WhatsApp account on the phone while using WhatsApp Web or a desktop app on a computer.
(How to Use WhatsApp on the Desktop tested in a desktop browser; updated July 2018)