Tired of typing on a phone? Find out here how to open and use the WhatsApp desktop version on any laptop and computer using a browser or even download a WhatsApp desktop app and use WhatsApp without a phone.
First, Ice at the Bermudas
need not come by air or from the fridge; it can arrive by sea, fresh from the Arctic.
Want to carry messages from your phone’s ice shores to the comfy desk-top chair? It’s time to break out the parasol:
How to Use the WhatsApp Desktop Version (in Any Browser)
To open WhatsApp on the desktop with just a browser:
- Do install WhatsApp on your phone and register your phone number with it.
- Visit WhatsApp Web in your favored web browser.
- Now open WhatsApp on the phone.
- Select the Settings gear (⚙️) or tap the menu button (⠸).
- Choose WhatsApp Web/Desktop from the menu or sheet that has appeared.
- Tap Scan QR Code if visible to add another session.
- Point your phone to the screen to scan the QR code on the WhatsApp Web page.
- Note: Click CLICK TO RELOAD QR CODE over the original QR code to generate a new one in place of the expired one.
- Tip: Check Keep me signed in to save yourself the trouble of scanning the QR code next time.
- Use WhatsApp in the browser.
- Important: WhatsApp on the desktop uses your phone to send and receive messages. You cannot use WhatsApp on the desktop without having both your phone and the desktop computer connected to the internet.
How to Use WhatsApp on the Desktop: FAQ
Can I download a WhatsApp desktop application?
Yes. You can put the web-based WhatsApp desktop version into its own application with
These applications offer native notifications on top of what you get from WhatsApp Web.
Can I use WhatsApp on the desktop without WhatsApp installed on a phone and connected to WhatsApp Web?
To use WhatsApp on your computer or laptop without it being connected to a phone:
- Install an Android emulator on your PC or Mac.
- Open Google Play store in the emulator.
- Download and install WhatsApp Messenger.
- Launch and use the WhatsApp app in the Android emulator.
- Note: Do connect WhatsApp on your PC or Mac with your mobile phone number just like you would when running it on a phone. You will receive a code by SMS text message that lets you connect WhatsApp on the computer with that number.
Note: Using the WhatsApp desktop version independently from a phone is currently not possible. You need to be logged in to your WhatsApp account on the phone while using WhatsApp Web or a desktop app on a computer.
Can I make calls using WhatsApp on a computer?
No. The browser-based WhatsApp version lets you send text and voice messages but does not support calling.
Tip: If you install WhatsApp in an Android emulator (see above), you can make and accept calls even on the desktop.
(How to Use WhatsApp on the Desktop tested in a desktop browser; updated June 2019)