Need to share an email or want a pretty record of it? Find out here how to save Gmail email as PDF. You can easily export individual messages to PDF or even entire conversations.
First, a Name Like a Letter from Europe
proved an auspicious beginning. What but sun-kissed hair draped across a pale blue Citrœn 2 CV‘s backseat bench can you expect from something called “Interchange PostScript”?
Part of John Warnock‘s project to establish a single format for visual documents across computer’s operating systems and networking standards, Interchange PostScript went on to become just that—as PDF.
So, how about sending an Interchange PostScript from Gmail to, well anywhere—say, the South of France?
How to Save Gmail Email as PDF
Looking to export emails from Gmail? You can also download Gmail emails in bulk as MBOX files.
To download a copy of an email message or conversation as a PDF file in Gmail using Windows:
- Open the message or conversation you want to save as PDF in Gmail.
- Make sure the individual email you want to save is expanded.
- Tip: Click a compressed message in a conversation to expand it.
- Click the More downward-pointed triangle (▼) next to the Reply button in the message’s header area.
- Select Print from the menu that has appeared.
- Tip: To download an entire conversation, click Print all () in the conversation’s header area instead.
- Make sure Microsoft Print to PDF is selected as the print destination in the printing dialog that has appeared.
- Tip: If you do not see the printing dialog, hit Ctrl P in the browser.
- Click Print.
How to Save Gmail Email as PDF using macOS
To save a message or conversation as PDF from Gmail using macOS:
- Open the Gmail conversation or email you want to save as PDF in your favored browser.
- If the message you want to save to PDF is not fully visible, click its header in the conversation.
- Click the More downward-headed triangle (▼) next to the Reply button for the email you want to save.
- Select Print from the menu.
- Tip: To download a complete thread in a single PDF file, click Print all () in the conversation’s header area instead.
- With the printing sheet visible, click PDF.
- Tip: If you do not see the printing sheet, press Command P.
- Select Save as PDF from the menu that has appeared.
- Pick a folder for the saved PDF and change the file name from the conversation subject if desired.
- Click Save.
How to Save Gmail Email as PDF Using Linux
To save an email from Gmail as a PDF file using Linux:
- Open the message you want to print to PDF in Gmail.
- Make sure the message you want to save as PDF is expanded; click its header area if it is not.
- Click the More triangle pointing downward (▼) next to the individual message’s Reply button.
- Select Print from the menu that has shown.
- Tip: You can also save a complete conversation to one PDF file; click Print all () in the conversation’s header area to do so instead of a single email’s Print menu item.
- Make sure Print to File or Print to PDF is selected as the destination printer in the browser’s printing dialog.
- Tip: If you do not see the printing sheet, press Ctrl P.
- Optionally, pick a folder and file name different from the default.
- Click Save.
(How to save Gmail email as PDF tested on Windows 10, macOS High Sierra 10.13 and Linux 4.15; updated March 2018)