Tired of clicking to get to Paint 3D’s good bits? Find out here how to permanently expand the Paint 3D sidebar and act on 3D objects and images faster (plus a sidebar-expanding keyboard shortcut).
First, Good-Bye Moon!
The closest companion to our earth is receding slowly into space.
Currently, the distance between earth and moon increases by some 3.8 cm (1.5 in) every year because the earth’s spin keeps pulling on the moon faster and slightly faster as if it was connected with a string to the planet’s wobbly masses.
While this is happening, why not also increase the distance between your Paint 3D canvas and its outer edge—to make room for the tool you’re currently using?
How to Permanently Expand the Paint 3D Sidebar in Windows
To always see the expanded Paint 3D sidebar (and not have to click needlessly to show its tools):
- Click the menu button in Paint 3D.
- Tip: You can also press Alt F.
- Select Settings from the menu that has appeared.
- Make sure Use compact view is Off under Settings.
- Note: To hide the Paint 3D sidebar and avoid wasting space, make sure Use compact view is On, of course.
- Click Back.
If the Paint 3D sidebar is collapsed, click the tool in current use to expand it. You can magically select objects, for instance.
How to Collapse and Expand the Paint 3D Sidebar in Windows with a Keyboard Shortcut
To quickly show and hide the full Paint 3D sidebar and access either the full canvas or tool options easily:
- Press M.
You can then focus on it and navigate its tools using the keyboard alone as well:
- Press Alt B.
- Use the Tab, Shift Tab, ←, ↓, ↑, →, and Enter keys among others to navigate, change and apply options from the Paint 3D sidebar.
(How to permanently expand the Paint 3D sidebar tested with Paint 3D 4; updated March 2018; title image: StockUnlimited)