Sick of web sites asking you to enable notifications? Find out here how to disable web browser notifications requests in browsers from Google Chrome to Safari.
First, How Long Does a Piano Need to Be
to still play all the right notes if the bass strings come without copper wrapping (which allows them to be shortened)?
If you are curious, you can ask your teacher, just like young Adrian Mann did in Dunedin towards New Zealand’s south; or you build a piano with those unshortened strings, just like young Adrian Mann had to in Dunedin towards New Zealand’s south.
The result, Mann’s so-called “Alexander” piano, is an impressive sight to see and, I presume, sound to behold.
If you get the impression that all kinds of websites want to lay long strings straight to your browser to play your computer’s sights and sounds for notifications, you can ask the following lines for instructions:
How to Disable Web Browser Notifications… Notifications
To prevent web sites from asking permission to send you notifications in your browser:
- Open chrome://settings/ in Google Chrome.
- Select Content Settings … under Privacy and security.
- Note: If you do not see the Privacy and security section, click Advanced at the bottom of the settings screen.
- Now choose Notifications under Content Settings ….
- Make sure Ask before sending is not enabled.
- Note: It will say Blocked instead if notifications are disabled.
- Select Safari | Preferences… from the menu in Safari.
- Go to the Websites tab.
- Now choose Notifications from the categories on the left.
- Make sure Allow websites to ask for permission to send push notifications is not checked.
- Close the Websites preferences window.
- Click the menu button in Mozilla Firefox.
- Select Options from the menu that has appeared.
- Go to the Privacy & Security category.
- Click Settings… for Notifications under Permissions.
- Make sure Block new requests asking to allow notifications is checked.
- Click Save Changes.
In Mozilla Firefox prior to version 59, you cannot disable notification requests from popping up in general.
To stop a specific site from requesting permission again:
- Click the downward-pointed arrowhead next to Not Now when the site requests permission to send you notifications.
- Select Never Allow.
Edge does not let you turn off notification requests in general.
To prevent a site from sending you further requests (and notifications):
- Click No when asked Let <site> show notifications?.
How to Disable Web Browser Notifications… Notifications: FAQ
Can I still receive notifications from select web sites?
Yes, you will receive notifications from sites that allowed to send browser notifications. That applies to sites you have added in the past and to sites you are adding manually in the future.
To manually add a site to those allowed to send notifications via Google Chrome:
- Open chrome://settings/content/notifications in Google Chrome.
- Click ADD next to Allow.
- Type the domain of the site you want to add.
- Note: sub-domains of the domain will be included in the permission.
- Click ADD.
(How to disable web browser notifications… notifications tested with Google Chroms 63, Safari 11 and Mozilla Firefox 57; updated January 2018; title image: StockUnlimited)