Quickly remove messages from your inbox and still keep them around for reference. Find out here how to archive emails in iCloud Mail using iCloud.com in a browser.
First, Thoreau’s Hardness Scale
When John Thoreau and his son Henry David began experimenting with clay as a binding agent for the graphite in pencils in the 1830s and 40s, they found more clay meant a softer pencil and thicker line.
This is why the U.S., unlike most other countries, to this day use numbers to grade pencils (No. 2 corresponds to an international “HB”, for instance).
Want to retain something, too? On a hardness scale from 1 to 4, archiving emails in iCloud Mail is a sure 1:
How to Archive Emails in iCloud Mail at iCloud.com
Using a Keyboard Shortcut
To move a message (or messages) to the “Archive” folder using a browser at iCloud.com using but the appropriate iCloud Mail keyboard shortcut:
- Make sure the message to be archived is open in the iCloud Mail reading pane or in its own window.
- Tip: Press Enter or Return to open a message in its own window.
- Note: To archive more than one message, highlight them all in the message list.
- Press Command ↓ (down arrow) on a Mac or Control ↓ (down arrow) on Windows and Linux.
Using the iCloud Mail Toolbar
To archive a message (or a bunch of them) in iCloud Mail using the iCloud Mail toolbar:
- Open the message you want to archive in the reading pane or in its own window.
- Tip: Double-click an email in the message list to open it in its own iCloud Mail browser window.
- Note: You can archive multiple messages at once; hold down the Command key (on a Mac) or the Control key (on Windows and Linux) while clicking messages in the message list to select them.
- Click the Move to Folder button () in the iCloud Mail toolbar.
- Select Archive from the list of folders.
Using Dragging and Dropping
To drag and drop messages to your archive in iCloud Mail at iCloud.com:
- Click on the message you want to archive using the left mouse button and keep the button pressed.
- Tip: Click messages in the message list while holding down the Command (Mac) or Control (Windows and Linux) key to select—and move—more than one.
- Drag the mouse cursor to the left over the Archive folder.
- Note: If you have hidden the list of folders, it will appear automatically as you start dragging.
- Release the mouse button as the Archive folder appears highlighted in blue under the cursor and message icon.
- Note: If the folder list was hidden before dragging, it will hide again automatically.
How to Archive Emails in iCloud Mail at iCloud.com: FAQ
Where Do Emails Go If I Archive Them in iCloud Mail?
Messages archived using either of the methods above will be in the “Archive” folder. You can access this folder using iCloud Mail in a browser at iCloud.com or in any email program connecting to your iCloud Mail account using IMAP.
(How to archive emails in iCloud Mail at iCloud.com tested with a desktop browser; updated September 2018)